- About Us
- Our People
- Areas of Practice
- Direct Access
- Contact Us
- Terms of Business
36 Bedford Row
DX 360 LDE
T 020 7421 8000
F 020 7421 8035
Welcome to 36 Bedford Row, a leading set of barristers’ chambers.
Core Areas of Practice
Our core areas of law practice and advocacy are:
Cross–discipline interest groups
Our barrister members, drawn from various core areas of practice, also work collaboratively in special cross–discipline interest and practice groups to better service the diverse needs of our clients. See:
- 36 ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- 36 International
Scope of legal services
We provide a range of legal services:
- We are specialist lawyers who advise solicitors, clients and other lawyers (including corporate general counsel and foreign lawyers) on points of law.
- We advise on strategy, law and evidence where the matter is contentious.
- We are specialist trial and appellate court advocates and as such represent clients in courts, and at hearings and inquiries before a variety of judicial, disciplinary and statutory bodies.
- We advise and represent members of the public and businesses directly under our Direct Access scheme. See: http://www.36bedfordrow.co.uk/directaccess/index.php
- We advise and represent clients at Mediations and Arbitrations.
- We have a growing number of members who are accredited Mediators and Arbitrators, and act as mediators or arbitrators in domestic and foreign jurisdictions.
- We provide bespoke training on specialist legal topics for solicitors, corporate general counsel and other organisations.
Quality of work
With 105 barrister members, including 11 QCs, 36 Bedford Row has a proven track record of high quality work.
Members regularly appear in high profile cases in the High Court, the Crown Court, the Court of Appeal (Civil and Criminal Divisions) and in the Supreme Court of the UK – and do so across the range of specialist areas of legal practice.
Over the last three years alone, our members have appeared in the Supreme Court in cases involving Family law, Consumer Law, European Union law, Human Rights, Judicial Review, Immigration law, Mental Health law, Employment law and Property law. Two of our members are currently involved in a case pending in the Supreme Court on the Mobile Homes Act 1983.
The services of our family barristers are sought from overseas jurisdictions, including the Channel Islands and Hong Kong.
Whether it is advice, advocacy or ADR (alternative dispute resolution) services, 36 Bedford Row provides professional, yet friendly and approachable assistance.
Contributions to domestic and international law
For well over a century, members of these Chambers have figured prominently as barristers in UK domestic law. More recently, similar contributions have been made to the development of international criminal and human rights law.
- Recent appearances by members of 36 Bedford Row in the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal (Civil and Criminal Divisions) have played a part in shaping domestic law across diverse specialist practice areas.
- The determination shown by 36 Bedford Row practitioners in challenging existing legal orthodoxies or lower court decisions, in order to obtain a just result for their clients – clients who have variously been individuals, institutions or corporate bodies.
- Since the late 1990s, several members have been involved in a number of international criminal human rights tribunals in Europe, Asia and Africa, and at The Hague.
- In 2012, a former member of Chambers was elected from the Group of Western European and other States to sit as a judge in the International Criminal Court in The Hague.
- A current member of Chambers was recently appointed by the Jersey State Authority to conduct an important Public Inquiry into events at Haut de la Garenne children’s home.
Furthermore, there is an increasing contribution by members of 36 Bedford Row, across practice fields, to the authorship of books for the profession. To see our members’ publications, click here.
Within the authorities delegated to him by the Joint Heads of Chambers and the Executive Board, the CEO leads and manages the business of 36 Bedford Row. The CEO, a former managing partner of a City of London firm of solicitors, brings valuable high–level domestic and international experience and insight to the set.
Below the CEO, we have three practice managers who lead on business development. They are vigilant in assisting members provide the services required by our professional and lay clients.
Strong specialist clerking teams guided by the Practice Managers are also there to assist our clients in finding the right barrister for a particular case. Our clerks are friendly and approachable, and ready to assist where they can.
For more information on our professional support services and to make contact with us, please click here.
36 Bedford Row Barristers Education/SEND Law Seminar and Legal Update
Felicity Gerry QC has been shortlisted for The Legal Personality of the Year Award.
Felicity Gerry QC is shortlisted in the inaugural Solicitors Journal Awards, which recognises brilliance in the changing legal world.
Mary Loram successfully prosecutes paedophile in “one of the worst cases of child abuse”.
36Extradition – Saoirse Townshend to appear in the Supreme Court on the case of Sas v. Poland